The government started off the 7th Economic Census from Tripura. It will be launched in other states and union territories in August and September.
- Economic Census (EC) is the complete count of all establishments/units located within the geographical boundaries of the country.
- Agriculture is not covered in Economic census (Only Growing of agricultural crops and plantations should not be counted as establishments for the purpose of this Economic Census).
- The establishment is a unit situated in a single location in which predominantly one kind of economic activity is carried out such that at least a part of the goods and/or services produced by the unit goes for sale (i.e. entire produce is not for sole consumption).
Image Credits: https://www.devdiscourse.com/article/headlines/524036-7th-economic-census-organized-to-impart-training-to-master-trainers
- Which are the Bodies involved in carrying it out?
- 7th Economic Census -2019 is being conducted by the Ministry of Statistics and Program Implementation (MoSPI).
- MoSPI has partnered with Common Service Centres, CSC e-Governance Services India Limited, a Special Purpose Vehicle (SPV) under the Ministry of Electronics and Information Technology (MeitY) as the implementing agency for 7th EC.
- Parent act: The data will be collected through door to door survey of each household and commercial establishment under the provisions of Collection of Statistics Act 2008.
- Timeline: The fieldwork is expected to be completed by December and the results at the national level is expected to be available by March 2020.
- History: Six Economic Censuses (EC) have been conducted till date: First EC (1977), Second EC (1980), Third EC (1990), Fourth EC (1998), Fifth EC (2005) and Sixth EC (2013).
Points to be Remembered:
- The economic census is the only source of information on the significantly large unorganized sector in the country.
- As per the last Economic Census conducted in 2013, there were 58.5 million establishments employing around 131 million workers.
Source: All India Radio