Global Housing Technology Challenge (GHTC):
- Objective: GHTC was launched by the Union Ministry of Housing and Urban Affairs in January 2019 to fast-track the construction of affordable housing and meet the target of constructing 1.2 crore houses by 2022.
- Parent programme: Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana Urban (PMAY-U).
- Salient Features:
- Under it, Centre will offer about ₹150 crore as a technology innovation grant to build 6,000 homes — cheaper, faster and better — using alternative technologies and materials.
- The challenge will focus on identifying and mainstreaming proven demonstrable technologies through ASHA (Affordable Sustainable Housing Accelerators) — India.
Light House Projects Challenge:
- Ministry of Housing and Urban Affairs (MoHUA) has published Request for Proposal (RFP) for construction of Light House Projects (LHP) at six selected sites under GHTC-India.
- These LHPs will be constructed at Indore, Rajkot, Chennai, Ranchi, Agartala and Lucknow.
- These selected sites will be used as an ‘open laboratory’ for live demonstration and will receive due attention from policy makers and media apart from felicitation/ recognition in Grand Expo-cum-Conference.
Prime Minister Narendra Modi declared 2019-20 as Construction Technology Year during the inauguration event of Construction Technology India (CTI) 2019 Expo-cum-Conference under Global Housing Technology Challenge-India (GHTC-India).