Rajya Sabha passed the Motor Vehicles (Amendment) Bill 2019 to provide an Efficient, Safe and Corruption Free Transport System in the Country.
- The Rajya Sabha passed the Motor Vehicles (Amendment), Bill, 2019. It will be again sent to the Lok Sabha for approval as it was passed with some Amendments.
- The bill seeks to amend the Motor Vehicles Act, 1988 to provide for road safety. Around 1.50 lakh people die and 5 lakh people injured annually in road accidents.
Salient features of the Bill:
- Provisions related to increasing penalties of traffic violations, addressing issues on third-party insurance, regulation of cab aggregators and road safety are proposed in the amendment.
- It proposes a scheme to allow cashless treatment of victims in a road accident during the golden hour.
- It proposes to increase the minimum compensation for hit and run cases. In case of the death, the compensation has been raised from 25,000 to 2 lakh rupees, and in case of grievous injury, it will be from 12,500 to 50,000 rupees.
- The government will open motor driving training schools to impart skill trainings to drivers. The government will also give one crore rupees grant to those who want to open such training schools.
Points To be Remembered:
- The golden hour is defined as the time period of up to one hour following a traumatic injury, during which the likelihood of preventing death through prompt medical care is the highest.
- While passing the bill, Union minister appreciated the measures taken by Tamil Nadu Government in reducing the number of accidents by 29 % in the last 2 years and the Centre will adopt the Tamil Nadu model in reducing the accidents across the country.
Image Credits: https://www.carlo.in/blog/opinion/motor-vehicles-bill-all-you-need/