SUPREME COURT REGIONAL BENCHES
Naidu concerned over backlog of cases
Vice-President Naidu concerned over backlog of cases he suggests setting up of special judicial tribunals and a Supreme Court Bench in Chennai he bats For Regional Benches Of Supreme Court
The SC should have separate divisions to deal with appeals and constitutional issues, he suggested.
Law Commission report 2009:
- Recommendation: The Law Commission, in its report submitted to the government in 2009, recommended that –
- a Constitution Bench be set up in Delhi to deal with constitutional and allied issues, and
- four Cassation Benches in Delhi (north), Chennai/Hyderabad (south), Kolkata (east) and Mumbai (west) to deal with all appellate work arising out of the orders/judgments of the High Courts.
- Arguments in favour:
- It is high time we had more benches because in a country as vast as India the litigants have to travel long distances and spend a huge amount of money and energy.
- Setting up Benches outside Delhi would neither impair unity and integrity nor undermine the importance of the Supreme Court.
- Way ahead:
- According to the Law Commission, If Article 130 is liberally interpreted, no constitutional amendment may be required for setting up Cassation Benches in four regions and a Constitution Bench at Delhi.
- If it is found that Article 130 cannot be stretched to make it possible to implement the recommendations, Parliament should enact suitable legislation/constitutional amendment for this purpose.”
Article 130 in The Constitution Of India:
- Title: Seat of Supreme Court.
- Text: The Supreme Court shall sit in Delhi or in such other place or places, as the Chief Justice of India may, with the approval of the President, from time to time, appoint.
The Vice President of India, Venkaiah Naidu has advocated the need to set up Supreme Court benches ( Naidu concerned over backlog of cases) in different regions in the country, including one at Chennai, to bring the judicial system closer to people.
Image Credits: https://www.thehindu.com/todays-paper/tp-national/nlika9/article28986610.ece/ALTERNATES/FREE_960/TH11-DSK-Vice-PG4O69QH6D6jpgjpg
Source: The Hindu