The World Economic Forum, based in Cologny-Geneva, Switzerland, is an NGO, founded in 1971. The WEF’s mission is cited as “committed to improving the state of the world by engaging business, political, academic, and other leaders of society to shape global, regional, and industry agendas”
World Economic Forum
The four day 50th World Economic Forum (WEF) began at Davos in Switzerland with the theme ‘Stakeholders for a Cohesive and Sustainable World’. Indian actress Deepika Padukone will be given a WEF crystal award for her work on mental health.
- HQ: Cologny-Geneva, Switzerland.
- Founded in: 1971.
- Status: Not-for-profit organization. Under the Swiss Host-State Act, it is recognized as an International Institution for Public-Private Cooperation.
- Mission: Improving the state of the world by engaging business, political, academic, and other leaders of society to shape global, regional, and industry agendas.
- Davos meet:
- Annually, it organizes a meeting at the end of January in Davos, a mountain resort in Graubünden, in the eastern Alps region of Switzerland.
- The meeting brings together some 2,500 top business leaders, international political leaders, economists for up to four days to discuss the pressing global issues.
- Reports published: It also produces a series of annual reports such as –
- Global Competitiveness Report,
- Global Information Technology Report,
- Global Gender Gap Report,
- Global Risks Report,
- Global Travel and Tourism Report,
- Financial Development Report and
- Global Enabling Trade Report.
Source: Live Mint