The new Medical Termination of Pregnancy (Amendment) Act 2021 expands the access to safe and legal abortion services on therapeutic, eugenic, humanitarian and social grounds to ensure universal access to comprehensive care.
MTP ACT 2021 (Amendment of MTP ACT 1971)-Highlights
- Exceeding upper limit of Termination up to 20-24 weeks (Previously 20 weeks) in case of rape victim, incest and substantial fetal anomalies.
- Substantial fetal anomalies will be decided by medical board of 4 members 1. Pediatric 2.radiologist 3 gynecologist 4. Any other number of member notified by state governament.
- Maintain the privacy of the patient.
- Up to 20 weeks 1 doctor opinion for the termiantion, 20-24 week two doctors opinion for termination.
- Replace ‘married woman or her husband’ with ‘woman or her partner’ in case of termination due to failure of contraception.
|MTP Act 1971||The MTP Amendment Act 2021|
|Indications||Only applies to married women||Unmarried women are also covered|
|Gestational Age limit||20 weeks for all indications||24 weeks for rape survivors, Beyond 24 weeks for substantial fetal abnormalities|
|Medical practioner opinions required before termination||• One RMP till 12 weeks
• Two RMPs till 20 weeks
|• One RMP till 20 weeks
• Two RMPs 20-24 weeks
• Medical Board Approval after 24 weeks
|Breach of the Womans confidentiality||Fine upto Rs 1000||Fine and/or imprisonment of 1 year|